Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Alienware Aurora m7700 Upgrade

So now that my Alienware Aurora m7700 is working great (see article where I had to send the laptop in for repairs), I have the need to upgrade it.


Alienware Aurora m7700 original specifications can be found here:
  • Release Year: 2006
  • Display: 17" 1900 x 1200 pixel display.  Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra graphics card PCI Express 256 megs of graphics memory.
  • Battery: 12 cell 6,600 mAh Lithium Ion battery. 220 watt brick charger.
  • Performance: AMD desktop CPU. Athlon 64 x2 4200+. 2 memory slots for PC400 SODIMMs.
  • Motherboard: VIA K8T890 chipset.
  • Size: (H x W x D): 2.1” x 15.6” x 11.7”. Our unit weighs 12 pounds, 5 ounces.
  • Drives: 8X dual layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW.  80GB hard drives SATA 150 RAID capable.
  • Audio: Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio for VIA chipsets, high-definition audio with surround sound, five built in speakers (one is a subwoofer). 3.5mm standard stereo headphone and 5.1 SPDIF jacks. Built-in mic.
  • Networking: Realtek RTL8169/8110 Gigabit Ethernet and 56k V. 92 modem.
  • Ports and slots: One PCMCIA - Type II/Type I card slot with CardBus support, 4 slot card reader (reads 7 media types). One parallel port, one serial port, one DVI connector, One S-Video out connector, Video-IN Ports (TV-Tuner required, not included, two PS2 connections, two mini IEEE 1394a (4-pin) ports, 4 Hi-speed USB 2.0, one headphone jack, 5.1 channel out (S/PDIF) / Line-in, microphone in, gigabit ethernet RJ-45, 56K V.92 modem RJ-11, Infrared port for Data transfer.


Driver Information:
  • Option 1:  Get Alienware Aurora m7700 drivers here.  On the Alienware Legacy system driver website, simply click Submit where all the drop down values are "All ...".  Then simply search for "M7700" for Alienware Aurora m7700 drivers.
  • Option 2:  Get Clevo D900K drivers here.  Set Model dropdown to "D900K Series" and Driver to "ALL".  Click Go.  Direct link here.
Per request, I have backed up my Alienware Aurora m7700 BIOS here.  Please exercise caution when updating your BIOS.

Planned upgrades:

  • Processor:  The original processor is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Socket 939, 1MB L2 Cache.  I'm thinking of swapping it out for an AMD Athlon 64 FX FX-60, Socket 939, 2MB L2 Cache.  The processor is here on eBay and costs a premium.  As of March 2012, it's running anywhere between 170-220 USD.
  • Networking:  I've already added in a mini PCI WLAN card I salvaged from a broken Dell Latitude X300, the Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN mini PCI Card.
  • TV Tuner:  Some other improvements include adding the mini PCI TV Tuner.  The original PV-TV303P+ Conexant mini PCI TV Tuner (drivers) can be found here on eBay or here through Ztronics.
  • Drives:  Lastly, I have free DVD drive slot.  Might as well go all the way and put something in there as well.  I have several spare SATA drives floating around in my spare parts drawers and I'm excited to be able to use them:  80 GB SATA drive, 500 GB SATA drive.  A discussion thread on the Alienware Aurora m7700 hard drive upgrade can be found here on forum.notebookreview.com.
  • Video:  My Alienware Aurora m7700 has the nVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256MB.  I'd like to upgrade to the nVidia GeForce Go 7950GTX 512 MB.  You can find additional video cards here at Ztronics or here at eBay.

Installing Windows 7 x64

Don't do it.  I know it sounds like a crime with AMD Athlon X2 4200+ being able to support x64, but the hassle isn't worth it in my opinon.  Additionally, the Alienware Aurora m7700 can't support more than 2 GB RAM, so there's really no other reason.  There's no driver support for approximately 4 hardware devices.  This includes the card reader, and the 3 unknown devices listed under Installing Windows 7.  You will be able to get the sound and video working though.

Installing Windows 7

Install nVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra

Prior to the release of nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 295.73 drivers found here at nVidia Driver Downloads, I was using the M7700 NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800-FX ULTRA 256MB NVIDIA Graphics Driver 78.70 found here at Alienware Support.  With the nVidia 295.73 drivers, I'm getting better performance on Windows 7 with a score of 4.1, the original score for the 6800 Ultra was a feeble 1.0.


To install the nVidia drivers, execute the nVidia driver installer.  It will fail, however, it will explode the contents to your hard drive, for example:  C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\295.73\WinVista_Win7\English

Right click on the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter -> Update Driver Software
Browse my computer for driver software
NOTE:  Since nVidia drivers does not officially support the nVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra, you'll have to coerce it.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Click Have Disk
Select the display driver path, example C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\295.73\WinVista_Win7\English\Display.Driver
Click OK
Select the nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

Unknown devices
  • Orion 1.3M-pixel video camera (U1.3M_ST_Ver01.1)
  • IrDA Fast Infrared Port
  • EZ-USB LED Board

Install Orion 1.3M-pixel video camera

Set the Setup.exe to Windows XP SP2 Compatibility.




Execute Setup.exe


Install IrDA Fast Infrared Port

Right click Unknown device -> Update Driver Software
Search automatically for updated driver software



Install EZ-USB LED Board

Right click Unknown device -> Update Driver Software
Browse my computer for driver software
Select path to m7700a_USBLED_68613 (download from here at Alienware Support)

2012-04-23 Update

I purchased a 12.7mm PATA to SATA hard drive caddy from amazon.com to add another hard drive to my Alienware Aurora m7700.  I have a spare Toshiba 500 GB HDD that I tried to add to the Alienware Aurora m7700, but the VIA RAID controller doesn't recognize the drive.  I've installed the Toshiba MK5055GSX 500 GB HDD in the hard drive caddy and installed the caddy in the spare CD/DVD drive slot and the drive is recognized by BIOS and by Windows.




Hard drive caddy with Toshiba MK5055GSX 500 GB HDD installed and Alienware Aurora m7700 hard drive attachment.



BIOS screen with Toshiba MK5055GSX 500 GB HDD installed as IDE master.


By default, the Alienware Aurora m7700 will attempt to boot off the newly added IDE hard drive.  Reorder the boot order and the Alienware Aurora m7700 will boot from the VIA RAID HDDs.



Update 2012-09-07

I've been considering it for a while, but I think I'll buy an AMD Athlon 64 FX FX-60 to replace the stock AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+. As of 2012-09-07, it's available for $145 here on eBay.

Update 2012-09-18

Purchased a Crucial m4 128GB 2.5" SSD while it was on sale at amazon.com.  I plugged it into the Alienware Aurora m7700 and no go.  The VIA VT8237R DOES NOT support the Crucial m4 128GB SSD.  I've read that the Intel 320 series SSD is supported by the Alienware Aurora m7700.






21 comments:

  1. I am doing a similar build, thanks for the win 7 driver info, it is really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I messed up a bios update on one of these, and would be grateful if you could back up yours (using Phoenix's winphlash program) and send it to me?
    My email address is: ian hawdon gmail com

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, ok, figured out Phoenix WinPlash. I used the WinPlash packaged with my HP Pavilion dv9207us BIOS upgrade and had to modify the INI file to get the backup options. You can download the file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvyhslv7p84bcph/m7700_bios.bak

      Delete
  3. Hi Ian, I tried to use Phoenix WinPlash, but it wants me to input a new target BIOS file. I get the following error: "The input file '' can not be found. A valid filename must be specified to continue." I've tried on another computer where I actually have a Phoenix BIOS, but it fails because the BIOS has custom sections.

    Do you have a manual of how WinPlash works? I've been looking around and I'm not getting any good information in regards to extracting/backing up a Phoenix BIOS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you install the SSD on the CD-Drive caddy or on the RAID connector? Just wondering as I am in the middle of bringing back my m7700 to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried on the RAID connector and it didn't work. The RAID connector is picky about drive support. I think it only supports SATA I. It didn't occur to me try the SSD on the CD caddy, but I think the SSD should work, considering I got the 500 GB HDD to work in it. I did try the 500 GB in the RAID connector and it didn't work either.

      Delete
    2. It sounds promising, I already have a SSD and just need to purchase the CD Caddy.

      Thank you for the prompt reply.

      Delete
  5. Hello, I have a notebook from Clevo D900K VGA card nVIDIA 7800 GTX. I bought nVIDIA 7950 GTX but seeking new Bios. Can you please help? My email address is: tatrul@seznam.cz Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I managed to extract the BIOS of the Alienware Aurora m7700. Please find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvyhslv7p84bcph/m7700_bios.bak

      Good Luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your help but the new Bios does not help me. The support Clevo wrote to me:
      On D900K can only support VGA below only.

      NV42M (12 layer)
      NV42M-ULTRA (12 layer)
      NV42GLM (12 layer)
      NV42GLM (12 layer)
      NVIDIA G70M (12 layer)
      !!NO NVIDIA G71M!!
      Sincerely Yours,
      Marketing

      Delete
  6. Hello, program Phoenix WinPhlash Version: 1.6.2.6 report an error:
    Corrupted interface descriptors in the new BIOS file.
    Part Table Signature not found in the Interface. Error code: -161. Please what program to use. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry about that. I don't know much about BIOS hacking and I thought I extracted the BIOS properly. I used WinPlash to extract the BIOS. Since Alienware never released a BIOS upgrade for the laptop, there's no packaged BIOS upgrade with WinPlash. I had to use WinPlash packaged with an HP. You can get Alienware support here: http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads_processed.aspx?os=&cat=&manu=&item=
      Clevo drivers: http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/download.asp
      I can try to extract the BIOS one more time to see if I did something wrong the first time.

      Delete
    2. Bad news, I had just sold my Alienware Aurora m7700 and I didn't have time to play with the BIOS before shipping it out. I'll try asking the person who bought it if they know how to extract BIOS images and see if they'll send it to me.

      Delete
  7. Bios Clevo D900K size is not larger 512KB

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alienware Aurora? Hallelujah! There will be no computer that can compare Dell Products. It's just the best computer for gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I received an alienware M7700 as payment for a job I did. Installed W7 64 bit on it. Having trouble getting it to recognize the GPU and installing drivers for it. I tried to coerce it as you described, but it told me the driver was not compatible. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your M7700 have the Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra? What video drivers did Windows automatically install? Depending on the configuration of the M7700 at purchase time or if the owner upgraded it, you might have a different video card. Alienware support site for the m7700 shows a whole host of video cards that the M7700 could be configured with: http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads_processed.aspx?os=&cat=&manu=&item=

      Delete
  11. Hey your blog is awesome, thanks for those step by step upgrades, just a few questions, I have alienware area51 m7700, and I'm trying to see if I can upgrade my HDD to SSD but after I purchased kingston 120gb SSD, I realized that connectors doesn't fit. I'm not an experienced tech geek, but I really love my alienware wanted to keep her upgrade as much as possible. Can you tell me what type of connector/ribbon I should use to put my SSD into existing HDD slot?

    ReplyDelete
  12. how do u find that video card agian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to parts? I originally saw them on the Ztronics website (http://www.ztronics.com/), but they don't have the parts anymore. You'll probably have to lookup potential parts from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XnVidia+GeForce+Go+7950GTX+512+MB.TRS0&_nkw=nVidia+GeForce+Go+7950GTX+512+MB&_sacat=0).

      Delete