Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Alienware Aurora m7700 Overheating

I came upon an Alienware Aurora m7700 with a very common problem, overheating.  The symptoms were the following:
  • Sudden shutdowns
  • Startup failures
Alienware Aurora m7700 original specifications can be found here:
Release Year:  2006
Display: 17" 1900 x 1200 pixel display.  Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra graphics card PCI Express 256 megs of graphics memory.
Battery: 12 cell 6,600 mAh Lithium Ion battery. 220 watt brick charger.
Performance: AMD desktop CPU. Athlon 64 x2 4200+. 2 memory slots for PC400 SODIMMs.
Motherboard: VIA K8T890 chipset.
Size: (H x W x D): 2.1” x 15.6” x 11.7”. Our unit weighs 12 pounds, 5 ounces.
Drives: 8X dual layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW.  80GB hard drives SATA (serial ATA) RAID capable.
Audio: Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio for VIA chipsets, high-definition audio with surround sound, five built in speakers (one is a subwoofer). 3.5mm standard stereo headphone and 5.1 SPDIF jacks. Built-in mic.
Networking: Aftermarket Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN mini-PCI WiFi 802.11 a/b/g. Realtek RTL8169/8110 Gigabit Ethernet and 56k V. 92 modem.
Ports and slots: One PCMCIA - Type II/Type I card slot with CardBus support, 4 slot card reader (reads 7 media types). One parallel port, one serial port, one DVI connector, One S-Video out connector, Video-IN Ports (TV-Tuner required, not included, two PS2 connections, two mini IEEE 1394a (4-pin) ports, 4 Hi-speed USB 2.0, one headphone jack, 5.1 channel out (S/PDIF) / Line-in, microphone in, gigabit ethernet RJ-45, 56K V.92 modem RJ-11, Infrared port for Data transfer.


To solve the problem, first things first, make sure it starts up.  Luckly the machine booted and the video displays correctly.  The original OS installation was Windows XP, so before going off the deep end and installing Windows 7, I decided to poke around the hardware and see I saw anything as obvious as in Damian's reply post on techsupportforum.com.  Lucky for me it wasn't as bad as that, but there was a clear problem:  improperly cooled video card.

The Alienware Aurora m7700 comes apart easy with easy to access panels for each of the components.  I disassembled the video card assembly and found that the thermal compound used was some kind of think putty like substance.  Also the wire on the upper right hand corner had some kind of debris on it (see second picture below), maybe coating from the board overheated and started to boil around the wire or it's just glue holding down the wire, but that's unclear.  So I did what I normally do when I come across something I'm not sure about...leave it alone.



To improve cooling, I removed the putty-like thermal compound to replace it with silver-based thermal compound, but the the heatsink was rough to the touch, I could feel the ridges in the copper by scraping my fingernail over the surface.  In the pictures below you can see the grooves in the copper.



Using a super fine sandpaper, 3M 800 grain sandpaper, I polished (not grinded) the heat sink surface down to a smooth surface.


I applied silver-based thermal compound and reassembled the parts.  Further examination of the video card cool, shows LOTS of thermal pads, I'm not so comfortable with that.  I think I'll go back in and replace the pads with copper shims and silver-based thermal compound...what a mess.  I reassembled the video card and ran CPUID HWMonitor, but there's no temperature meter.  The nVidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra in the Alienware Aurora m7700 doesn't have a temperature probe so I can't monitor the temperature as I use the machine.  I can only "feel" it by putting my hand next to the ventilation and gauging the temperature of the core by how hot the air is around it.  It feels cooler than my Dell Latitude E6410's Core i5 so I'm not so worried at the moment.  My plan is to get a nVidia Geforce Go 7800.



Just for kicks since I was replacing thermal compound, I deced to replace the thermal compound of the processor too.




The feel fo the CPU copper plate on heat sink was very smooth, but I could see ridges in the metal.  It definitely felt like there was a coating on the heat sink.  The CPU in general never gets too hot, so I didn't worry about it.  Afterwards, I put the CPU assembly back together and the CPU temperature gets as low as 33 C and as high as 61 C.  Generally speaking the CPU side of things stays cool.





After starting up the system, I ran the nVidia system stability test for about 30 minutes and the system was just fine.  The video card did get hot.  I played a game on it and although the video card did get hot, I could hear the fan speed up and slow down indicating the core temperature was being regulated properly.  Although, it would make me feel orders of magnitude better if there were a temperature monitor I could watch.

The original Windows XP installation was freezing on me every so often so being an upgrade push over, I installed Windows 7 on it.  See a different post for installing Windows 7 on the Alienware Aurora m7700.


Also, I have it permanently sitting on a cooling pad.  It's a bit small for the size but it does the job.  I have it sitting on an old Evercool 4 fan cooling pad.  I'd prefer the Targus HD3 Gaming Chill Mat, but I use that for my work computer, the Dell Latitute E6410.

Additionally, I added in a mini PCI WLAN card from a dead Dell Latitude X300 and it works great.  The Alienware Aurora m7700 comes prewired with antennas for WLAN.





Update 2011-08-16

Bad news, one day while I was using the Alienware Aurora m7700, computer froze and when I rebooted it went into a reboot cycle and now the screen stays black.  I guess that means the video card is done for.  I broke down and ordered a used nVidia Geforce Go 7800 GTX off of ebay.com.  In addition, I've purchased some copper shims for the nVidia card so that I can replace all the thermal pads on the heat sink.

I'll report back once I get the parts and put it all together.  I'm hoping that the nVidia Geforce Go 7800 GTX actually has a temperature monitor so that I can keep an eye on it while I'm using it to get a better idea of the heat profile.

As far as the broken nVidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra, I'm considering if I should get BGA service on it.  It's always good to have a spare, or I can always resell it.  I've been reading up on some people throwing their video cards into the oven to do a DIY reflow service on it, but that's got me very nervous, so I'm not going to try that.  Also the Alienware Aurora m7700 video card has plastic connectors on the bottom of it and few wires on the board, so it's a definite, NO for me.

If you're interested in the topic of the DYI oven reflow service, you can find the discussion thread here on overclockers.com and here on forum.notebookreview.com.  Please NOTE, that I in NO WAY am even remotely close to suggesting that you should try this.  While it is most likely true that the video card overheating has cracked the solder on the BGA of the video card GPU, personally, I would recommend finding a BGA service to perform a reflow service or to completely resolder the GPU with higher grade solder to prevent the future problems.

Update 2011-08-22

More bad news, the used nVidia Geforce Go 7800 GTX worked for a few hours and then the Alienware Aurora m7700 stopped booting again.  Not exactly sure what's going on, but I'm thinking that either there's a problem with the entire computer or the used video card was on its last leg.  I've gotten autorization to return the used nVidia Geforce Got 7800 GTX to the seller (got a little bit of attitude from the seller, but that's ok, I'm still getting my money back).  As you can see below, I don't think I did a poor job cooling the video card.











I've sent in the entire notebook to Ztronics for laptop repair.  Please note that Ztronics has 2 types of service, laptop repair and video card repair.  In the case of laptop repair, you send the entire notebook computer and they fix it and in the case of video card repair, you just send the video card and they fix the video card only, the cost is the same.  The cost was $129 for the service, but I don't think that includes parts, but the used video card that I purchased off of ebay.com was $190, so I think the cost is worth it.  At least I'll be assured to some degree that it's a properly working product and not something that was pulled from a dead or near dead machine.  I think I'd recommend anybody else thinking about replacing the card to not purchase a used part, especially in the case of the Alienware Aurora m7700, but buy a manufacturer recertified or a new part.  I noticed some new parts (no guarantee) from the UK on ebay, and Ztronics sells manufacturer recertified parts here.

Update 2011-09-01

Just got word back from Ztronics that the motherboard failed and not the video card.  How frustrating.  The motherboard plus shipping will cost me $210 with the $129 for service, a grand total of $339.  I guess that's not so bad.

Update 2011-09-22

Got the Alienware Aurora m7700 back from Ztronics and it's in good working order, meaning it turns on.  I'll have to play around with it more before I know if it's fully functioning.  I'd like to check the CPU to determine if the silver-based thermal compound is there and I'm going to double check the video card as well.


I did eventually went back and checked on the state of the thermal compound and something happened to it while it was at Ztronics. It looked all dried out. I had to reapply the silver-based thermal compound.

15 comments:

  1. Was about to send m to tronics, having same issues. Whats your status? thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Alienware Aurora m7700 has been working well since I've gotten it back. The issue according to Ztronics was that the motherboard died. The person I got the laptop from had been heavily using it for gaming, so I'm guessing the motherboard overheated and burned out. Not sure where the overheating was from, but I think damaged components might have been the large capacitors next to the CPU (that's just a guess). So I think the Artic Silver will help keep that area cooler.

      I had replaced the thermal paste on the CPU with Artic Silver, but when I got my laptop back, it was missing the thermal paste, so I had to replace it.

      The video card is working well with the Artic Silver and a copper shim over the GPU.

      Delete
    2. I gave mine away, got ripped off buying that thing. Im sure its better under Dell. How long did yours last?

      Delete
    3. After I got it back and did a cooling mod on it, it was working fine. The LCD was on the fritz when I sold it off. I think I had it a total of 2 years before I sold it.

      Delete
  2. I bought my laptop brand new, and loved it to death and it worked great on games videos and applications, unfortunately about 3 years after owning the laptop I started have problems with it randomly shutting down and not starting, eventuallyit would just not start any more . i sent it to ztronics, they replaced the processor and motherboard. about a month after the warranty there computer started to dothe same thing. now it collects dust. i kinda think the power supply is overpowering and or sending dirty power. its sad. ... because i paid 3k for this paperweight. not to mention i waited for clevo to release this new laptop with 64 technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. It's a sad thing that most computers these days are VERY susceptible to overheating due to a combination of hotter processors and video cards and poor cooling design. These days I have ALL my computers sitting on cooling pads and after the warranty period or if the notebook computer seems to be having issues with overheating, I opened it up to inspect the heatsink contact to the processors, thermal compounds and any other component that might need a thermal pad or copper shim to help with cooling. Although Ztronics does do a good job with replacing the parts and getting it working again, you still need to go back in and double check the cooling setup. Good thing is that with the Alienware m7700, it's pretty straightforward and you don't have to totally disassemble the machine to do it. Sorry you've run into all the problems.

      Delete
  3. I got mine back from ztronics, new video card 6800ultra and new lcd. Got speedfan cranking the fans, but you are right i need a cooling pad. I wanted to use it as a media server im afraid to burn up the video or more, not worth selling really, i got an asus 64bit 8ram for $800...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left my Alienware Aurora m7700 running for days and it's been fine so far as you have the cooling pad running underneath it. Also, make sure you NEVER leave the lid closed. It acts like an insulator. I usually set Windows to "Do Nothing" if the lid is closed. Also, I close the lid just enough so that the screen shuts off. Although, I think this causes stress on the hinges and screen assembly screws and screw mounts, so if you can, definitely use some kind of padding to help support the lid.

      Delete
  4. I've been threw many motherboards / video cards with my alienware aurora 7700. I tried the copper shims as well, with bad results... it destroyed the 7950gtx I had within about an hour.

    Currently I have the alienware together, it posts but still not working properly. When it turns on, the 3 blue lights in the panel (caps, scroll, numlock) light up as soon as it turns on, begin to blink, then the laptop shuts off. Its very disappointing. It looks like another motherboard will fix it but when do you call it quits? I've installed new motherboards from ztronics, used off ebay, and the most I get out of my alienware is about a year and a half.

    my email is daviton2000@yahoo.com I'm real familiar with these laptops, anyone have any questions, or want to get rid of some alienware 7700 stuff can contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi datiton. i got temps of the 7700 with "get thermal". On my asus i5 w7 i use core temp. Let me know if you want find it i can zip it.
    I got m7700 back from ztronics, new lcd and v.card -supposedly. Was good a couple of times, now its doing the same thing. I get video w external monitor but not lcd. I can see it light up around the edges but that is it. Yesterday it worked after i put the laptop in the fridge for half hour. Did you replace the mobo or ztronics, can you give me some ideas on costs? any other ideas of what it could be? Is there something else that controls lcd in between the video card and the panel? Hos do you feel about ztronics? sucks to spend $400 to be exactly where i was. Typical careless repair, just swap shit out and charge. Pieces where obviously fine - video card and lcd, since its doing the exact same thing still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I'm looking to sell my working alienware m7700
    I'll include all of original documents, xp recovery disk, the internal wireless card is no longer working but I'll include a USB wireless adapter, 2 batteries (one of them is brand new still in static bag), Cooler Master pad, alienware carrying case, and alienware mouse pad. Its processor is 3.8Ghz, has 2 hard drives, and 2 optical drives.

    There is two problem with the laptop, the internal wireless card isn't working so I always use the usb wireless adapter and the hinge on the left side is cracked, everything else is working. This laptop hasn't been use in ages but it is in great working condition. Make me offers "wow hai hai (@) gmail (dot) com", thanks.


    Here are the main specs:

    Prod. Order No.: PO-340121A
    I. Identification xxxx
    II. Configuration

    Processor(s)

    ◦Processor 1 •Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.80GHz

    •Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

    •Caption: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1

    •Version: Model 4, Stepping 1

    •Processor Id: BFEBFBFF00000F41

    •Current Clock Speed: 3800MHz

    •Address Width: 32Bits

    •Data Width: 32Bits

    •Socket Designation: WMT478/NWD


    ◦Processor 2 •Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.80GHz

    •Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

    •Caption: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1

    •Version: Model 4, Stepping 1

    •Processor Id: BFEBFBFF00000F41

    •Current Clock Speed: 3800MHz

    •Address Width: 32Bits

    •Data Width: 32Bits

    •Socket Designation: WMT478/NWD

    Case Color: New Background

    System Memory

    ◦Memory Module 1 •Capacity: 512MB

    •Bank Label: DIMM 0

    •Data Width: 64Bits

    •Speed: 66MHz

    •Socket Designation: J6G1

    •Verified Hardware Device against Order: MEM-MOBL512DDR2533LF


    ◦Memory Module 2 •Capacity: 512MB

    •Bank Label: DIMM 2

    •Data Width: 64Bits

    •Speed: 66MHz

    •Socket Designation: J6H1

    BIOS Information

    ◦Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies LTD
    ◦Name: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
    ◦Version: 6.00
    ◦Version: PTLTD - 6040000


    Motherboard Information

    ◦Manufacturer: CLEVO
    ◦Product: D900T
    ◦Serial Number: 400
    ◦Verified Hardware Device against Order: MB-D900GRY17SXGA+5.3

    Video Adapter

    ◦Caption: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800
    ◦Adapter RAM: 256MB
    ◦DriverVersion: 6.14.10.7650

    Hard Drive(s)

    ◦Promise 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device •Model: Promise 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device

    •Size: 160GB

    Optical Drives / Other Storage

    ◦_NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A
    ◦PHILIPS CDRW/DVD SCB5265

    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    IV. IRQ Configuration
    ◦ 0 System timer
    ◦ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    ◦ 2 -available-
    ◦ 3 -available-
    ◦ 4 Communications Port (COM1)
    ◦ 5 -available-
    ◦ 6 Standard floppy disk controller
    ◦ 7 -available-
    ◦ 8 System CMOS/real time clock
    ◦ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    ◦ 10 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM SMBus Controller - 266A
    ◦ 11 -available-
    ◦ 12 Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
    ◦ 13 Numeric data processor
    ◦ 14 Primary IDE Channel
    ◦ 15 -available-
    ◦ 16 NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800
    ◦ 17 WLAN a+b+g mini-PCI Module
    ◦ 17 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
    ◦ 18 Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller
    ◦ 18 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
    ◦ 19 WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller
    ◦ 19 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
    ◦ 20 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    ◦ 21 Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    ◦ 23 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
    ◦ 23 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C

    V. Miscellaneous

    WLAN a+b+g mini-PCI Module
    ◦BisonCam, USB2.0, 12-2-2004, 1.2.1.7

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should look into ebay. I sold mine for $150 on May 2013.

      Delete