Thursday, August 18, 2011

HP Pavilion dv9207us Upgrade

As it turns out, the HP Pavilion dv9207us (release year 2007) can support more memory than the manufacturer specified 2 GB.  I've successfully installed 4 GB of RAM.  However, because the CPU only supports a 32 bit operating system, I can only use 3 GB of RAM.




My next planned upgrade of the HP Pavilion dv9207us is a processor upgrade from the Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHz processor to the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz processor, the HP Pavilion dv9207us has an Intel i945PM chipset.  The Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 is a 64 bit processor so I'll be able to install an x64 Windows OS, so I'll be able to access all 4 GB of RAM.

I'm curious to see if the HP Pavilion dv9207us will take 8 GB of RAM given that the DDR2 PC2-5300 is available in 4 GB memory sticks (see here at crucial.com), but Intel i945PM chipset specifications shows a max memory of 4 GB.

2012-04-19 Update

I happened to open the HP Pavilion dv9207us recently and noticed that there is space for another mini PCIe socket.  The solder joints are there but no mini PCIe socket.

It's quite possible that this could just work similiar to the Samsung NC10 mod to add another mini PCIe socket.





2012-05-16 Update

Today I've received my Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz processor.  I purchased it here on eBay.  I'll have to find time to disassemble the HP Pavilion dv9207us for the 3rd time:
  • 1st:  Repair CPU heatsink assembly, HDD, and keyboard
  • 2nd:  Cooling mod with copper shims and Artic Silver thermal compound to properly cool CPU, nVidia GPU, and an additional chip with a gap between heatsink and chip (could be part of the chipset).  I know, I know.  No pictures and descriptions, but I was in a hurry!  I'll be sure to take pictures and post it this 3rd time around.



2012-05-18 Update

And here you have it, CONFIRMED, the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz processor officially works in the HP Pavilion dv9207us.


I added a 1.5mm copper shim to fill in the gap between this chip and the heatsink, not sure what it is, but it's next to the CPU.


I also added a 0.5mm coppershim to the nVidia video card heatsink.


I removed all the heat pads and replaced it with copper shims and Artic Silver thermal compound.


The new Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz processor in the socket on the motherboard.  Note, that this picture shows the new processor without thermal compound.  Make sure you reapply the thermal compound before reassembling.  Also, if you've never removed a processor before, you must turn the screw like knob below the processor to release the processor from the socket.


Older Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHz processor removed from the HP Pavilion dv9207us motherboard.



BIOS recognizes the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz processor.


And Windows installs drivers for the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz processor.


Previously, the Windows 7 rating was 4.2 and the lowest score was for the CPU, now CPU rating is 5.7.






I just blew about 2 hours of my day with this, so I'm going to tackle the 64 bit Windows install later.

2012-06-01 Update

Today, I finally got around to trying to install Windows 7 x64.  The good news is that x64 drivers can be found for all the system devices so no devices remain unknown.  The bad news is that although the BIOS shows 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 x64 can only use 3 GB RAM.

However, the touch control panel strip above the keyboard doesn't seem to work in Windows 7 x64, no volume control and CD/DVD controls.  This might be because the connectors at the end of teh ribbon cables are starting to pull up.  I'll have to purchase replacements and retry Windows 7 x64.

So far all devices on the HP Pavilion dv9207us are recognized by Windows 7 x64.

Unidentified Devices after Windows 7 x64 install:
  • 3x Base System Device
  • 1x Unknown Device
3x Base System Device - Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Driver
Windows Update automatically installs 1 driver for the Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Driver.
The HP Pavilion dv9207us Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Driver is required to recognize all 3 of the Base System Devices.
Download the HP Pavilion dv9207us Windows Vista x64 drivers here.

Unknown Device - HP Quick Launch Buttons
Right click Unknown Device -> Click Update Driver Software
Windows 7 automatically installs the necessary drivers

Video Card
Download nVidia drivers for the nVidia GeForce Go 7600 here for Windows 7 x64.

Touchpad
Download the Synaptics drivers here directly from Synaptics.

2012-08-26 Update

Last time I pulled apart my HP Pavilion dv9207us, the connectors on the ends of the ribbon cable started to pull up.  When I reconnected the worn out ribbon cables, the touch-enabled buttons on the top panel stopped working.  I purchased these ribbon cables from eBay and all the touch-enabled buttons are back online:
Gotta love eBay.




2012-12-28 Update

Disaster struck when the left hinge on my HP Pavilion dv9207us snapped on the lower left hand corner of the hinge.  It took all the screw mounts with it on the back cover and the damaged the screw hole on the front lcd cover.






Before doing any research I bought an LCD back cover from eBay and found out too late that the LCD back cover on the dv9207us requires a SINGLE LAMP LCD back cover.  I had incorrectly purchased the dual lamp LCD back cover.

I initially tried to purchase my parts from impactcomputers.com.  It was more expensive than eBay, but I wanted to get my parts new and all at once instead of piecemealing them together.  impactcomputers.com ended up being a slight nuisance.  They showed all the parts I required as being in stock:

432957-001 - Back LCD    432957-001         1   94.95
Cover (Single Lamp) For
Hewlett-packard (HP)
Computers
432963-001 - Display     432963-001         1   24.95
Hinge Kit (Single Lamp,
Left and Right) For
Hewlett-packard (HP)
Computers
432955-001 - Display     432955-001         1   89.95
Bezel (Single Lamp with
WEB Camera) For
Hewlett-packard (HP)
Computers
But then I had to pay more for the LCD front case.

Due to the fluctuations in inventory quantities as well as market prices, the price of Impactcomputers.com
432955-001 - Display Bezel Single Lamp with WEB Camera has been correctly updated to meet the market value. The new price is $129.95.
I sent the money, and the next thing I know everything is out of stock except the hinge kit!  Talk about frustrating, so I got them to give me a refund for everything except the hinge kit.  The good news is that the hinges were new.  I used PayPal to pay for the parts, so at least I had some leverage.  I could complain to PayPal if things got fishy.

In the end, I got the CORRECT LCD back cover here from eBay and reused the original LCD front cover.  The LCD front cover was fine except the lower left hand corner screw hole edges were broken so the screw doesn't hold down the LCD front cover at that point anymore.

2012-12-28 Update 2

I finally put together my soldering kit and I got my hands on a mini PCIe slot to try and solder onto the empty mini PCIe slot on the dv9207us motherboard.  I purchased the mini PCIe slot here from newark.com.

Talk about being nervous.  There's a component really close to the empty slot and I didn't want to accidentally melt it off.  Good news is that everything worked out fine and I got the slot on nicely.  The only problem now is that I really can't test it because the connectors on ribbon cable between the wifi on/off switch and the motherboard is pulling up like the top panel control ribbon cable!  I've order one of those here from eBay and I'm waiting for it to arrive to get my wifi switch to work again.  I'm thinking that perhaps the wifi switch activates/deactivates both slots.

I'll update this post once I get my new ribbon cable and get it installed.  In the meantime, enjoy the pictures of my newly soldered mini PCIe slot.





2013-01-07 Update

I'm starting to not like these ribbon cables inside notebook computers.  The pins pull up from all the scrapping against the pins inside the ports.  The wireless switch stopped working after I put together the HP dv9207us after soldering the new mini PCIe port.  I disassembled the notebook again to find that the wireless switch ribbon cable pins started to peel off.  I ordered these ribbon cables from eBay.com:


Replaced the damaged ribbon cable and now the wireless switch works again.  However, when I plug in a device into the newly soldered min PCIe slot, it still doesn't work.  I guess it's not enabled through hardware.  I'll have to figure out how to enable it.  I probably just have to bridge a connection on the board somewhere, but I don't know how to figure that stuff out yet.

2013-10-13 Update

I had a spare Crucial m4 256 GB SSD and I decided to give the HP Pavilion dv9207us an upgrade. I took out the Seagate Momentus 7200.3 80 GB HDD I put in and replaced it with the SSD.


Seagate Momentus 7200.3 80 GB HDD


Crucial m4 256 GB SSD CrystalDiskMark benchmark


2013-10-14 Update

I was just asked a question on how to know for sure what part to get and best answer for that is, take apart the part of your notebook that needs repair and get the part number off the part. The good thing about HP's and Lenovo's is that they have part numbers to EVERY part one of their components.

For example, when my LCD back panel broke, I got lazy and I guessed at the part number and I ended up with the wrong part because the dv9000 series has 2 different types of LCD back panels, a single lamp model and a dual lamp model. If had simply disassembled the part and gotten the part number my life would have been much easier.

For example, the HP Pavilion dv9207us LCD back panel model number is 432957-001. Take this number to the HP parts store here and you'll find the part description, for example, 432957-001. The description the HP website ends up being:

432957-001
Display panel back panel enclosure - For use with single lamp display panel

Generally, I have found that if you search eBay with the part number, you will get the right part.


This is the number you want.


Not sure what this number is. Perhaps it's a serial number?


As an aside, if you are interested in repairing your plastic components that break, give Mercury Adhesives M1100 thick viscosity glue a try. I scrapped together all the little plastic bits that broke off and I fixed my screw mounts using it. Don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the base of the screw mounts have glue around them. I haven't tested it, but I have a lot of luck with the glue in the past using it. I've kept my older LCD back panel as a backup in case the new one I've purchased breaks. GOOD LUCK!


2014-06-25 Update

I was asked about the HP xb3000 Notebook Expansion Base featured in the picture on top of this article. My personal feeling is that it's LARGE and BULKY. Basically, I don't like it a whole lot, but it does function as a dock. I like the HP Notebook QuickDock better because it's a simple port replicator.

Specifications for the HP xb3000 is available here at hp.com.

Compatibility:
  • The xb3000 Notebook Expansion Base is compatible with all HP Pavilion dv2000, dv6000, dx6000, dv9000, tx1000, tx2000 and Compaq Presario V3000 and V6000 series notebooks.
Technical Specifications:
  • Vertical docking station with adjustable height capability.
  • Integrated Altec Lansing stereo speakers
  • 6 USB ports (2 on the right side, 4 on the back)
  • 1 RJ45 port
  • 1 VGA port
  • 1 S-Video port
  • 1 Composite Video port
  • 1 set of Component Video out ports
  • 1 headphone jack (on the right side)
  • 1 S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) port
  • 1 stereo microphone port (on the right side)
  • 1 65W/90W AC adapter power jack (supports the notebook's AC Adapter)
  • 1 Kensington lock slot
  • Integrated Consumer IR port (for optional remote control)
  • on-board volume controls
  • support for optional Hard Drive accessory kit (sold separately)






The HP xb3000 Notebook Expansion base has a slot for a 3.5 inch HDD on the left side, but you need a special caddy for the HDD, the HP xb3000 Hard Drive Kit Expansion Bay. It's currently out of production and I have found it here at impactcomputers.com. I have purchased products from impactcomputers.com. Service could be better, but they haven't ripped me off, so that's a plus. Generally, the problem was that they listed items as In Stock, charged me for the item, and then told me that the item was NOT In Stock and then refunded the cost to me.

The HP Notebook QuickDock support page is here at hp.com, but it's not very useful. It's got pretty much the same ports at the HP xb3000 minus the integrated speakers, volume control, and 3.5 inch HDD bay.

HP Part Number: 430326-001 or ES631AA#ABA
Agency Series: HSTNN-WX05

Technical Specifications:
  • 6 USB ports (2 on the right side, 4 on the back)
  • 1 RJ45 port
  • 1 VGA port
  • 1 S-Video port
  • 1 Composite Video port
  • 1 set of Component Video out ports
  • 1 headphone jack (on the right side)
  • 1 S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) port
  • 1 stereo microphone port (on the right side)
  • 1 65W/90W AC adapter power jack (supports the notebook's AC Adapter)
  • 1 Kensington lock slot
  • Integrated Consumer IR port (for optional remote control)





45 comments:

  1. I've upgraded mine to a T7200 and 4 gigs of ram but windows will only recognize 3gb (bios post shows 4gb installed). I've tried a fresh install but same problem. I think it may be a limitation in the bios? I also upgraded my hd to 750gb 7200rpm. I love this laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What version of Windows are you running? If you're running a 32 bit Windows installation, you'll be limited to 3 GB of RAM. But I also wouldn't be surprised if HP had some kind of hardware limitation. I know the Lenovo ThinkPad T61 has hard set limit for their RAM at 3 GB. Glad to hear that your dv9000 series is still rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi i have the dv9207us model too..
    I'm wanting to upgrade my cpu to get 64bit and im hearing story's the t7600 cpu is possible.

    is there any substance in what im hearing ????

    regards seth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really the only thing that's kept me from trying was the cost of the upgrade. I didn't really feel like paying more than $100 for the processor. After you asked about it, I went on eBay to check out the lastest price and it seems reasonable enough these days. So I've purchased one and I'll let you know in about 5 days. I expecting some driver issues, but hopefully I'll be able to work around most of that.

      Regarding the question about memory, I haven't tried that all just yet because I didn't want to buy it and then have nowhere to put it if it didn't work.

      Delete
    2. Confirmed. The Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz processor works in the HP Pavilion dv9207us.

      Delete
  6. I've performed the same upgrade three days ago :) (2012-08-29)

    I've searched the web for conclusive information confirming that the DV9000 (DV9235nr in my particular case) could support the Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 GHz but was unable to find anything concrete. My particular laptop contained the Core 2 Duo T5200 (slowest Socket M Core 2 processor, 1.6 GHz, 2M L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB, 533 MHz DDR2 RAM supported)

    Considering that the the highest CPU version this laptop shipped with from the factory was the Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 GHz and that the i945PM Chipset supports the T7600 (fastest Socket M CPU) I figured I'd give it a try, hoping that HP didn't place any limitations into the BIOS.

    I ended up biting the bullet and acquired a T7600 via eBay. I was rather elated to see the BIOS Splash Screen and after accessing the BIOS it informing me that the CPU had indeed been recognized successfully, considering the complete upgrade process took nearly three hours (granted, I took my time to ensure to categorize the screws and to reapply new TIM to the CPU, Northbridge, the GPU and the associated copper shims). I also ended up replacing the rather worn-out keyboard and top cover/touch pad with brand new parts, thanks to eBay.

    I had purchased my machine in the Summer of 2007 while still in college and used it to the fullest until July 2009 when the GPU died. Unable to convince HP to assist with the GPU issue the laptop ended up packed away safely in my closet for three years. For some unknown reason I recently pulled the machine out of my closet and decided to see if I could get it revived.

    I had the GPU reballed professionally and the necessary cooling modifications made (removal and replacement of thermal silicone mush with copper shims) to ensure I'll be able to use this machine for a little longer. It may not be the most recent and up to date device, but for some reason I have a strange fondness for it. It could be that back then it was one of my most expensive purchases, being a poor college student, and that I was able to make it through college with it, I'm not sure.

    With the new CPU, which not only increased the clock frequency but also provided more L2 Cache, a faster FSB, and higher DRAM frequency (667 MHz vs 533 MHz), and With the maximum RAM installed (4 GB, 3.25 GB accessible), and Windows 7 as the OS, this machine is actually a really nice performer.

    * Regarding Maximum Memory *

    Gathering from my research, while the i945PM does support 4 GB of RAM, the amount actually accessible depends on the designer of the system board. It seems that in the case of the DV9000, the memory controller 'physically' is only capable of addressing within the 32bit memory space since the increased amount of address lines required for the 64bit memory space are missing/non-existent on the board.

    This doesn't mean that one won't get all the other benefits using a 64bit CPU and Operating system has to offer, just that one just can't go above the 32bit memory ceiling, which with the OS using about 1 GB or less still leaves one with 2.25 GB of accessible RAM, which for a device of this age is more than sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, your post about upgrading hp pavilion is very good. I'm looking also for this mini pci-e expansion like you tried to do. I found out that HP whitelist their port like lenovo and
    others. Take a look:

    http://egpu.maeth.net/iport/whitelst.htm

    Some guys use a method to get egpu expansion. Anyway, you already have the slot soldered. Can you try that? I wan't to try that but I didn't ever solder the slot.

    I've found some guy telling how to avoid whitelist also by halt Windows 7 loading with F8, swap the wifi card with the new one (that guy use one PM3N), and then proceding to load windows. He says it works, but I don't recomend changes with the computer on.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. hy your new soldered mini pci-e port is not powered...you must bridge the power or put a fuse (look at the working port)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that actually makes sense. It didn't occur to me to use a pinout guide to figure out if the power was enabled or if other miniPCI-e options were enabled: http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml

      Thanks! I'll give that a shot when I get around to pulling it apart again.

      Delete
    2. any update regarding the PCIe socket?

      Delete
  9. I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I know this is an old 'blog, but how do I definitively tell whether or not my DV9207 is a single lamp or double lamp? I intend to rebuild mine, and it has a broken hinge, as well as both front and back bezels. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I've just updated my blog regarding getting the parts. Simply, it's easier to take apart the broken part and get the replacement part number off of it. To verify you can look it up on the HP part store. If HP still sells your part, you can get a genuine part from them or check on eBay for a used or new (compatible) part.

      Delete
  11. Hey, I've done some changes to my HP dv2125la as well.

    At the moment it has an SSD as well, and I can tell the difference.
    The next step I'm checking is a CPU change.

    My laptop originally comes with a Core Duo T2050 CPU. The upgrade without problems would be a T2700, but I'm trying to find if the Core 2 Duo T2700 can be installed and recognized by the motherboard. It's a Wistron 30B2. Do you know where I can find this information? Or if I just have to take the risk and buy the processor.

    Thanks in advanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the Intel Core Duo T2050 (http://ark.intel.com/products/27231/Intel-Core-Duo-Processor-T2050-2M-Cache-1_60-GHz-533-MHz-FSB) and see that it has a 533MHz front side bus and the PPGA478 socket. I did a search on Intel ARK Advanced search for PPGA478 processors and here's what came up:
      http://ark.intel.com/Search/Advanced?s=t&SocketsSupported=PPGA478

      My rule of thumb is that I stay on the same front side bus for compatibility reasons. With notebooks, it's really unclear if the motherboard supports a higher front side bus unless there's documentation. In your case, you have a 533 MHz front side bus. If you can find another version of your laptop with a processor with a faster front side bus, then it's safe to assume that your laptop will support a higher front side bus.

      Based on the search results, there is a Core 2 Duo that has a 533 MHz front side bus, the Intel Core 2 Duo T5300
      http://ark.intel.com/products/29758/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T5300-2M-Cache-1_73-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

      Really it's really a guessing game and you just have to try it. Sorry I can't be more definitive, but that's part of the fun, right?

      Good Luck!

      Delete
    2. Lol
      Well, as you say, there's not really any guarantee that ANY of this will work.

      Another part that was maybe left aside and that would actually help with this.
      The chipset I have is: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Chipsets or Intel(R) 945GT Express Chipset (This acording to Intel Chipset Identification tool)
      On the devices I can see it's part of ICH7 family.

      Looking for that part I found this:
      http://ark.intel.com/products/27857/Intel-82945GM-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

      Which states the memory controller has:
      Supported FSBs 533MHz / 667MHz

      What do you say?
      Should i give it a go?
      Same socket, the chipset suppports that FSB...
      What else should I check?
      Do you know your Motherboard model? Most likely they are not the same, but if by any chance they are, I'm on the other side.

      Oh, to this laptop....
      I haven't had any issue with any connectors yet, but I try not to open it often. I know they are not the best quality and I'm afraid of ending braking some or something. But I feel like nowadays it's producing so much heat, so I wanna try some arctic silver 5 on the processor.

      What I made was upgrade to an SSD, added BT, change the keyboard, change the front panel with the trackpad (Someone threw it and brake some plastic parts), upgrade RAM... full disassembly :P

      Oh, also, I saw that you added the second PCIe connector, but did you add anything there?
      My laptop also has an extra connector, but I haven't really find anything worth to be added. I wish that port was mSATA capable :P

      L8er!

      Delete
    3. On the Intel ARK website for the 945GM
      http://ark.intel.com/products/27857/Intel-82945GM-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

      Click compatible products and it will show you the compatible processors. I see that it does support 667 MHz front side bus, so I think it's worth a try.

      The fastest you can do is the Intel Core 2 Duo T7600.

      My HP dv9207us has a Quanta 30BD motherboard in it with a 945PM chipset.


      Delete
    4. Sorry, in the first post I put twice T2700.
      But I meant that was the safe course, but not too worthy.
      What I really want to try is the T7600, which as you sated is the fastest processor with socket M.

      Another piece of advice.
      I wanted to buy it from amazon:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HNL8G0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BGX5ZFORCY4M
      But I couldn't find which socket is that one.

      I read the product code is:
      BX80537T7600

      After a quick google search found that it's the socket M, but since I couldn't find the other socket, which I believe is the P, I'm unsure how to tell the difference between the two boxes.

      Since you already bought it, how can I make sure it's the M version?

      From intel page:
      http://ark.intel.com/products/27257/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T7600-4M-Cache-2_33-GHz-667-MHz-FSB
      The sockets are; PBGA479, PPGA478

      But couldn't find anything related to box product for each version :P

      About the RAM, it was really confusing. I placed 2GB, but some manuals actually stated 3GB was the top for this motherboard. Even tho, when I reached HP chat assistance they stated 2GB was the top.
      Reading about your experience, and knowing about the chipset, I'll also give it a try. Maybe I won't be able to fit 4GB, but from 2 to 3 is a good upgrade if running Win 7 x86.

      Delete
    5. cpu-world.com has it listed as a Socket M/mPGA478MT (PGA - pin grid array).
      http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20Mobile%20T7600%20LF80537GF0534M%20(BX80537T7600).html

      However, on Intel ARK, it shows both PBGA479, PPGA478. The PBGA479 is the BGA (ball grid array) chip. The BGA chips are when the processor is soldered onto the motherboard, hence, unupgradable, unless you have BGA rework equipment.

      So I don't think you have too much to worry about. If you need the full specs, I would email the seller directly.

      I buy my old processors from ebay.com because these are old processors and they're cheaper used. I've personally not had an issue with any of them. I always buy from "Top Rated Plus" sellers when it comes to this type of equipment. Also ebay.com sellers tend to post the entire spec so that you know what you're buying:
      http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xintel+T7600+&_nkw=intel+T7600+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

      Delete
    6. With regards to the memory, both, HP and Lenovo have been known to artificially limit the total amount of memory allowed in the system.

      The Intel spec for your chipset 945GM clearly shows you can support 4GB
      http://ark.intel.com/products/27857/Intel-82945GM-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

      Yes, Windows x86 only lets you use 3GB, but in my dv9207us, even if I install Windows x64, I can only use 3GB even though I have 4GB of memory installed.

      It's annoying, but more memory is more memory.

      Delete
    7. I'll try to get my hands on the new one. Not because I like new stuff, I know nearly no one OC their laptop, so they must be almost like new, but from the fact I'm living in Mexico at the moment and packages are first received for clearance, where they don't have any care at all. Or would you recommend me eBay for international shipping?

      last time they left a big cutter mark on a PS3 controller, while opening the bag.

      I asked about the socket because desktop processors are like that, aren't they? The pins are in the motherboard. And I don't wanna end up with a processor I can't even test.

      Anyway, about the mini PCIe? Any advice?

      And thank you so much for the share of info. If everything is successfully upgraded I'll make sure to come back here and let ya know (To thank ya again).

      Delete
    8. That makes sense about buying from amazon.com. ebay.com can be more a hassle with regards to international shipping. Although, I bought something from Japan recently off of Amazon.com and the blasted thing is sitting in US customs right now for about 1 month!!! Oh well.

      Both desktop and laptops use PGA chips. Ultraportable and these new ultrabooks and new tablet PCs use BGA chips. The difference between the desktop and laptop processors are generally performance, heat generation, and power consumption (wattage). The Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 is a mobile processor, so there's nothing to worry about. No possibility of mistake there. Usually you also tell by the design. Usually there's also a design difference. Desktop processors are generally shielded all the way around to help with heat distribution.

      So anyway, miniPCIe. The other miniPCIe is probably for a WWAN card. The bad news is that HP as annoying as they are, has a whitelist on the types of cards that can be added to the slot. The WLAN miniPCIe slot has a whitelist and the WWAN miniPCIe slot has a whitelist.

      At the moment, I would really say there's anything to try to put into these slots because as you said, the miniPCIe slots don't support mSATA, so not a whole lot you can do.

      Delete
    9. Mmmmm.. that's strange. I recently bought a i7 4770K and it doesn't have pins. The pins are in the motherboard's socket. (Gotta tell ya, it's sweet!)

      I'll try to get my hands on one of those, either by redirecting it to Mexico from eBAY or send it directly from Amazon, if I can. And hopefully this summer vacation, I'll disassembly my laptop once more and give it a try.

      And yeah... I found some real good WAN cards, but to be honest, I don't feel the need of upgrading the card I already have. For the desktop I bought an AC 7260, but because it didn't had one in first place.

      Anyway, again, thanks for your time. And for the valuable information.

      Going to sleep as well. Have some English tutoring to give tomorrow.

      L8er!

      P.S. I'll make sure to come back and update, whenever I give it a go.

      Delete
    10. Sup!?

      Just updating. I upgraded the uP already. It was a little pain in the ass, since I couldn't boot my previous OS.
      I'm guessing it was a big change :P (From the "smallest" of Core Duo, T2050, to the "biggest" Core 2 Duo, T7600).
      At the beginning, I didn't know if it was gonna work or not, due the BIOS recognized it but it didn't boot. And after analyzing for about a minute I tried a live CD (Linux) and everything seemed OK, so I had to grab another SSD and install everything from 0.
      I wanted to change to a 64 bit OS anyway, so sooner or later I was gonna do it. It delayed my work for my master degree, tho.

      Here a pic during testing:
      http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r498/1st_Luis/DSC_0871_zps86d5ae89.jpg

      And another of the uP itself (The old one). The new one was already in place:
      http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r498/1st_Luis/DSC_0873_zpsf4caa250.jpg

      As it was a change in FSB, my RAM are working faster, so the so called windows experience also got boosted a lil bit in CPU and RAM.
      Passed from.... like 4.5 CPU and 4.7 RAM to this:
      http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r498/1st_Luis/LapNumbers_zps52745530.png

      I couldn't find a better driver for win 7 x64, so my socore on graphics went down 0.1. But it was totally worthy.
      I don't have a graphics card, so this will be its lower number.

      Oh, BTW, based on your recommendation I also bought 2 RAM memories of 2GB each. And got the same issue... I can see 4GB in Win, but only use 3GB. Have you found a solution to this? I tried a couple things, but without succes (I can give further details if needed if you wanna give it a try)
      I noticed my BIOS only sees 3GB, so most likely it's a blockage from HP. because the chipset is capable of holding up to 4GB, based on Intel's data.

      Finally, I also broke a connector... but one of the plastics ones, So I had to do some crafting, lol.
      But at the ened everything worked perfectly.

      I'm just loving my laptop and feels so good atm. I checked some days ago and it's a pc from Nov 2006.
      Also, I'm thinking about the XB3000. I think I saw one of those in the picture at the very top. What can you tell me about it?

      Anyway, thank you so much for the feedback. I was doubting a lil bit, but after interchanging info with ya I felt more confident and went ahead for it.

      L8er!

      Delete
    11. Sorry for the late reply, took some pictures of the XB3000 dock for you. To be honest, I think it's way too big. Basically the idea of the XB3000 is to use the 17" notebooks as a desktop by tilting the laptop forward and using the screen in place of an external monitor and having an external keyboard and mouse. Personally, I prefer the HP Notebook QuickDock. However, since I have the XB3000, I use it.

      Delete
    12. Lol
      No worries :P (I took longer XD)

      So, I went ahead and purchased the XB3000. It was only about 30 USD in eBay. Brand new.
      I think it's heavy and a little bulky as well, but that might be due the speakers. I'm guessing that's what adds more weight to the device. BUT, since it's a docking station, not portable per se, I believe it's okay. I really like it, and the sound is way better. Plus I can use my old IR control.
      My only "problem" so far is with the USB's. I'm guessing it's a low power HUB, because I can only use up to two 2.5 HDD. (Which would be 1A, at the most)
      RIght now I'm using two monitos. I added a 24" Asus monitor (1920*1080). And using the keyboard and mouse. Everything's great-

      BTW, Also purchased 4GB of RAM. But same happened, Windows is only able to use up to 3GB. After some thinking, it makes sense. Sort of.
      This is my memory controller: http://ark.intel.com/products/27857?q=945GM

      2^32=4294967296
      Which is the number of memory addresses it can handle.
      Which is exactly 4GB
      Most likely, HP used some of the addressable memory to some other hardware peripherals. (Well, not HP, but the MB manufacturer/designer)
      At the end, everything in a PC has a physical address.
      So it's not possible to use every single address space in RAM, even tho, it uses most of them.

      At the end I left 3GB of RAM (1x1Gb and 1x2GB). It made no sense to me to have 4GB. And that other stick was changed to another PC.

      Also purchased another 6-cell battery (So I can have 2). My 12 cell battery is pretty much dead (20-30 mins)
      A new touch panel, because some time ago a jerk threw my lap and some plastics parts broke. It works ok, but just thought I could get it in advanced.
      A new HDD cover, because mines kinda broken.

      At the end, new life to this Laptop. Which made 8 years some time ago.

      The last part I'm thinking is this:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D96Z8Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1CVN9H5QSGDE0

      Which could boost my video capabilities. I noticed your laptop has an Nvidia card, but this one is a basic card built in. So the card might be a good option. I have the PCI port soldered already, so I'm guessing it's just plug and go. Onced I placed my WiFi card in there and it worked.

      The other option, but less likely, would be this:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2CZ4XI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2IRJS1D1489E6
      Which could "expand" the SSD life, but I'm worried about speeds. I don't want to create a bottleneck.

      Oh, thanks for the XB3000 pictures, BTW.

      L8er!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Meep! Have you tested the soldered minipcie? I am planning to solder the connector myself from another board and I want to use it to insert a minipcie 32GB SSD. I really don't know if this will work (another user said the port is not powered so it needs adapting). I also don't know if dv9000 motherboard sees the SSD on minipcie and if it alows booting from it. I want to keep my 2x200GB HDD and use the SSD for my OS only.

    I would kindly appreciate any feedback. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, I have tested by soldered miniPCIe slot and no, it does not work. I need to bridge the lanes based on the miniPCIe pinout (http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml). It's probably best to use the existing miniPCIe slot to determine which lanes need to be bridged. I personally want to use fuses, but I haven't figured out which ones to get. I usually get my parts from mouser.com or newark.com.

      so based on my understanding, the dv9000 series does NOT support MSATA on the miniPCIe slot. However a miniPCIe to ZIF PATA (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SK4VM2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) would probably work in conjunction with MSATA to ZIF PATA adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BA5JU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Then the only problem is space. I've known some systems like the Dell netbook that allows booting from the miniPCIe slot, but there's no guarantee there.

      Consider replacing your optical drive with an HDD caddy (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=12.5mm%202nd%20hdd%20caddy). The only catch there is that the faceplate won't work and you'll have a gap on the side. I've been meaning to use 3D printing to make a matching faceplate base don the original optical drive faceplate.

      Delete
  14. I put in 2 2-Gb cards into my dv9207 but the computer would not function - I got only a blank, back screen. I went back to using 2 1-Gb cards and returned to normal. So, there is no guarantee what this author says will work for you. Fortunately, i was able to get my money back for the 2-Gb cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that the 2x2 GB memory sticks didn't work out for you. Out of curiosity, what types of memory modules did you use?

      Delete
    2. A piece of advice.
      If you get no booting at all, try removing and placing them again. Sometimes they are not correctly in place and they won't work.
      In those MB, there's no warning message of any kind for bad inserted RAM.

      Delete
  15. I wish I had found this blog a couple of weeks ago. I also have a dv9207us, and several months ago I put in 4GB of PC2-5300 RAM knowing that I would only be able to access 3GB until I moved to 64-bit (so I thought).

    Recently, the cooling fan started to die, so I decided it would be a good opportunity to replace the 32-bit T2250 with a 64-bit processor. I did a little searching (not sure why this site didn't pop up) and saw that someone suggested a T7700 would work. I ordered the fan and the T7700, but the system would not boot (not even POST) with the T7700. Assuming it was the 800 MHz FSB of the T7700 causing the problem (researching this a bit more, I found that the T7700 is a Socket P processor, not Socket M), I went to this site: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/209284-intel-mobile-processor-compatibility-guide.html and saw that the best Socket-M processor with the same 533MHz FSB as the T2250 was the T5300. I purchased a T5300, installed it, and it worked fine. This allowed me to install Win7-64, and while it did not allow access to the full 4GB of RAM, the processor score went from 4.2 to 4.7, and the score for everything else also jumped a little.

    So now that I see that a T7600 works on this motherboard, I am thinking to upgrade to that. The price of the T5300 was cheap $7 shipped, but I see that the price of a used T7600 is $50+, so these must be in much higher demand.

    Question, since the 4GB RAM I installed was PC-5300, will I need to purchase faster RAM to move to the 667 FSB T7600? If so, then it becomes debatable if this upgrade is worth it due to the price of the processor and RAM (~$100).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to be sure, I'd say, install CPUID http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html and check the motherboard chipset. If it's a 945PM http://ark.intel.com/products/27858/Intel-82945PM-Memory-Controller, it supports both the 533 and 667MHz FSBs. I wouldn't worry about the memory, it'll still work. PC-5300 is DDR2-667. Good luck with your upgrade!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the response. I did verify that I have the 945PM chipset, so I'll go ahead and order the T7600 and give it a try.

      Another question, have you successfully installed an 802.11n WLAN card in the mini PCI slot? I read some posts that stated the BIOS had a whitelist, and only cards in the list will work. I suppose I could pop the 11n card out of my Dell and see if it works.

      Delete
    3. With regards to the WLAN card, the HP BIOS has a whitelist for the WLAN card slot, so I haven't found a compatible 802.11n card. If you insert an unsupported WLAN card, you'll get an "unsupported card" error and the laptop will halt until the unsupported card is removed.

      Getting a modified (hacked) HP BIOS will fix the issue, but I've not been brave enough to try that. Good luck!

      Delete
  16. Bad news - the T7600 arrived on Friday and I got some time today to install it, but the system would not boot with the new CPU. The panel lights turn on, the fan spins, and the CD makes a noise, but that's it - no display at all and no HDD activity. Given that folks have stated that they got the T7600 to work in this machine, I can only assume that the used CPU I purchased on eBay is defective (I put the T5300 back in and all is fine).

    I will return the 7600 and try another, but if that also fails, then this dv9207 will remain a T5300 machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. Out of curiousity, do you have the latest BIOS?

      Delete
    2. Out of curiosity, did you get the SL9SD?

      Delete
    3. My BIOS is F.2E, which appears to be the latest per HP's site (please confirm). And yes, I installed an SL9SD T7600. I received authorization to return the CPU, so I'm sending that back tomorrow and I'll try again when I receive the replacement.

      Delete
    4. Did you ever get the T7600 to work with your dv9207?

      Delete
  17. Do you make the Second Mini PCIe to Work? i'm interested on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So technically it does work. It's recognized by the BIOS, but the issue is the device whitelist. I have never gotten past the BIOS whitelist, but that's more because I didn't want to mess up the BIOS and brick the machine. I'm on the risk adverse side when it comes to messing around with BIOS's.

      Sorry!

      Delete