Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dell SmartStep 250N Upgrade

I installed Windows 7 on the Dell SmartStep 250N and although it runs, it's slow and could use some help.
Current specs:




I think I upgraded the original HDD from a 20 GB HDD to a 40 GB HDD, but I can't remember.

I've ordered a used Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 512 K Cache, 400 MHz FSB off of eBay.  Upgrading the processor is a bit complicated in that 2.8 GHz version of the Pentium 4 is different from 2.4 GHz version of the Pentium 4.  It has a different architecture and requires a higher voltage and the motherboard/BIOS needs to support the different architecture (see review here).  I was planning on trying to put in an Intel Pentium 4 3.40 GHz with HyperThreading, 1 MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB, but the information is not clear as to whether or not this is possible, so to be on the safe side, I went with the Pentium 4 2.8 GHz.


As soon as I received the processor, I swapped out the processors, replaced the thermal paste, and powered it up.



I definitely recommend that you upgraded to the latest Dell SmartStep 250N BIOS, A05.  The cryptic BIOS upgrade information states, support for additional processors.  Don't know what that means, but maybe it's required.  So I was a little bummed out when the BIOS reported the processor as a Pentium 4 25200 MHz.


I continued the boot up to Windows 7 and Windows 7 says the processor is an Intel Pentium 4 operating at 2.8 GHz.  Also, CPU-Z also shows the processor operating at 2.8 GHz.  The best indicator is the dramatic boost in performance.  The once choppy notebook is now much faster.  Strange how an extra 400 MHz can change things so much.


If you're planning on this as well, some things you should know.  Read my post or other posts online regarding upgrading the cooling of the notebook because the Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor runs hotter than the original 2.4 GHz processor, about 5-10 C hotter.  If you've got the heatsink modified and the thermal paste upgraded, you should be good to go.

I should also note that I have the Dell SmartStep 250N permanently sitting on top of a chill pad.  These older notebooks with desktop processors in them make me nervous considering they run so much hotter than your mobile processors.

Good luck!

2011-07-14 - Memory Upgrade

According to the Dell SmartStep 250N specifiations, the maximum amount of RAM support is 1 GB.  Well that's not entirely true.  I've upgraded the RAM up to 2 GB.

There's no such thing as having too much RAM :)


Now if I can only give a boost to the video card, I'd be all set.  I read about the ATI XGP and it sounds promising (see discussion on forum.notebookreview.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment