Thursday, December 26, 2013

HP Pavilion dv7-1020us Upgrade and Cooling Mod

I got a hold of an old HP Pavilion dv7-1020us that was having video stuttering problems. Generally, it worked, but the occasional video lag was starting to get out of hand. Since it's an old computer, my first instinct is to open it up and clean it out since it's out of warranty and the thermal compound needs to be upgraded anyway. Here's a picture of what I found.


Horrifying, isn't it!
 First thing's first, specifications. You can find the specifications here.


Product Name: dv7-1020us
Product Number: FF214UA
Microprocessor: 2 GHz Intel Centrino Processor Technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Microprocessor Cache: 3 MB L2 Cache
Memory: 4096 MB (2 dimm)
Video Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Hard Drive: 320 GB (5400 RPM)
Multimedia Drive: Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer
Display: 17.0” diagonal WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900) 
Fax/Modem: High speed 56K
Network Card: Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity: Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN
Sound: Altec Lansing
Internal speakers
Keyboard: 101 key compatible
Pointing Device: Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad
PC Card Slots
•1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports
•5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards, Supports adapters
•4 USB 2.0
•1 VGA
•1 HDMI
•1 eSATA
•1 RJ -11
•1 RJ -45 (LAN)
•2 Headphone out/Stereo
•1 microphone-in
•1 IEEE1394 Firewire
•Expansion Port 3
•Consumer IR

Power
•90W AC adapter
•8-Cell Lithium-Ion (47Whr)

What's In The Box
•HP Remote Control
•TV Tuner
Under the primary access panel, you have access to the primary hard drive. There's a SATA slot for a 2nd hard drive. The dv7-1020us doesn't come with an extra hard drive caddy so you'll have to find it from HP Parts or on eBay. On eBay, search for "hp dv7-1000" and look for a caddy similar to this one. Also, the dv7-1020us is preconfigured with 3 antennas for the WLAN. The preconfigured Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN only uses 2 of the antennas. This computer is AMAZING! It's got 3 miniPCIe slots! There's 1 free miniPCIe slot.

The HP Pavilion dv7-1020us comes apart easily for an HP Pavilion notebook computer. Meaning, although there are a lot of screws, there are about 5 types and are easily grouped together vs the earlier models that had many different screws.




To me this is the half way point because I can see the full motherboard and the only thing holding it down are a few screws. It's at this point that I have to prepare myself because it's clear that the mother board is upside down, meaning that I have to COMPLETELY disassemble the notebook computer to access the heatsink and fan assembly.


Here's the motherboard removed from the bottom case. You can see that the dv7-1020us heatsink cools 3 different processors. In this case, it's the Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8400 (3M Cache, 2.26 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB), NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family Graphics Processor. The mainboard is the Mobile Intel® PM45 Express Chipset. According to the Intel ARK, the PM45 chipset can support Intel Core2 quadcore processors: Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9300 (12M Cache, 2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB), Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9100 (12M Cache, 2.26 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB). Although it would be very cool to be abled to use the Intel Core2 Extreme QX9300, I'm not sure it would work in the dv7-1020us notebook computer. The Extreme processors are never a sure thing. As of 2013-12-26, the Intel Core2 Extreme QX9300 is available on eBay for approximately 180 USD. However, I am confident about the Intel Core2 Quad Q9100. As of 2013-12-26, the Intel Core2 Quad Q9100 is available on eBay for approximately 100 USD.

Finally, notice the heatsink. It's covered in dust.


Close up of the heatsink. This is why in my opinion it's important to have a cooling pad underneath the computer. The cooling pad helps push dust way from the cooling vents when it's sitting in one place.


Heatsink cleaned.


Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400 (3M cache, 2.26 GHz, 1066MHz FSB)


Northbridge chipset controller


Nvidia GPU


I took a picture of the Southbridge chipset controller to show you that it's not cooled whereas the Northbridge was cooled. I have had issues on other computers where this processor does over heat. Using a cooling pad and a 0.5mm copper shim helps keep this processor cooled. See further down below.







I've cleaned the original thermal compound and removed the thermal pads on the Northbridge controller and NVidia graphics processor and replaced it with Artic Silver 5 and on the Northbridge controller and graphics processor, I used a 0.5mm copper shim to fill the gap between the heatsink and the graphics processors. NEVER use a copper shim between the processor (NOT the graphics processor) and the heat sink. The computer WILL overheat. Also, I've used a thermal pad and a 0.5mm copper shim to cool the chipset processor. Generally, the thermal pad is mildly adhesive and sticks well to both the processor and the copper shim. I use this technique in many cooling mods and I've not had one fall in the past 2 years.


Finally, I reassembled the HP Pavilion dv7-1020us upgraded the hard drive to the Crucial M500 120GB SSD, here from Amazon. Also the original Bluray BD-R/RE has gone bad. I need to either replace it with a replacement from eBay here. Or I can replace it with a 3rd hard drive by using a optical drive bay hard drive caddy here on Amazon. Be sure to look for a replacement 12.7mm optical drive or caddy if you're not using original parts or replacement parts. The problem with the optical drive bay hard drive caddies is that they don't have the molding so it'll pretty ugly.

2015-03-22 Update

Recently I was asked about the thickness of the thermal pad that I use. I use the High Performance Thermal Pad for Playstation 3 on amazon.com. It measures approximately 1.5mm.


Below is a picture of the 1mm copper shim. I usually don't use this one, because I prefer the 0.5mm copper shim. I find that the 0.5mm copper shim fits most applications.


See the 0.5mm copper shim below.





23 comments:

  1. Hi so I found your blog by accident and I am looking to follow this tutorial. My dv7-1020us has been over heating whenever i try to play some video games.

    ebay has 15mm x 15mm x .5mm and 20mm x 20mm x .5mm.

    Did you trim the shims to size? What size .5mm shim should be used?

    I am a little confused about the thermal paste and shim placement.

    I understand that no shim on the main cpu processor, but did you use thermal paste on the graphics processor and the north bridge controller?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, use the 20x20x0.5mm copper shims. Rarely do you need the other thicknesses. If you get a variety pack, it should cover all your bases:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-20x20-mm-Copper-Pad-Shim-2-pcs-of-each-thickness-0-3-0-5-0-8-1-1-2mm-/141164822674?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item20de144092

      Do not trim the shims. Buy the right size. The need to stay perfectly flat otherwise, the contact to the chips will be uneven.

      Yes. If there is a thermal pad replace it with the correct size copper shim to fill the gap. Only apply thermal compound to the chip (processor) and the heatsink. No need to apply thermal compound to the copper shim as well. The compound will transfer on it's own since it's greasy.

      For chipset controllers that DO NOT have a heatsink over it, I use a thermal pad and a copper shim on top to create a "heatsink". DO NOT apply thermal paste where thermal pads are used. Only apply thermal paste between the chip (processor) and heatsink.

      Check out some of my other posts. The pictures are better.
      Example:
      http://toomanycomputers.blogspot.com/2013/05/hp-pavilion-dv4165cl-upgrade-and.html

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial you have over here!
    I have an HP DV7T-1000, with Nvidia 9600gt chip, as i see, the heatsink shape is pretty much the same of yours, and i was wondering if you can say to me if the shim thickness should be the same (0.5mm)

    I'm asking this because i saw a lot of ebay vendors saying that the perfect fit for the dv7 computers is 1mm, so i want to be sure to do not mess it up

    Also, can you please tell me the thickness of the thermal pad that goes to the northbridge? i'm planning to replace only the GPU with a copper shim, so i need to know in order to buy some thermal pads

    Meanwhile, i have a temporal fix with 2mm thermal pads on the northbridge and on the gpu (i know it's too thick, but i had to replace it in order to at least work) and now the notebook Works at least for daily use, when on heavy load, the notebook shuts down, i think it's because of the poor thermal transfer because the thick thermal pads.

    Thanks a lot in advance for any help or advice and keep up with your great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for the late reply. I posted a picture of the thermal pad that I use. It's approximately 1.5mm thick. Additionally, I've posted pictures of the 1mm and 0.5mm copper shims. I generally use the 0.5mm copper shims because I find them to be more versatile. If you can get both the 1mm and the 0.5mm copper shims and use the one that you feel best fits your needs, otherwise, get the 0.5mm (20mm x 20mm).

      Delete
  3. I can't find any high performance thermal pads that are 20mmx20mm. Will 15mmx15mm thermal pads work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually they come in sheets that you cut in to the size you need. I get this sheet from amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Thermal-Pad-Playstation-3/dp/B005J730WO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450101641&sr=8-1&keywords=high+performance+thermal+pad).

      Delete
  4. I messed up somewhere. I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYTU6Z6 for my thermal pads.

    I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OUJQX8K for my shims.

    and Arctic Silver 5.

    I removed the old thermal pads and cleaned the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol.

    1) I added the AS 5 to the processor

    2) I added the thermal pads to the gpu and northbridge controller, and the two little gray square pieces next to the cpu.

    3) I also added a pad and shim to the southbridge controller.

    What am I doing wrong? I reassembled the laptop and it runs fine for a couple minutes then shuts off. I think it's overheating.

    Do I remove the thermal pads from the northbridge controller, and the gpu, and those square blocks, then add thermal paste with a shim instead? Not really sure where I went wrong here.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you hear the fan running? I've forgotten to plug in the fan before. Otherwise, do you think you have enough time to install HWMonitor or another temperature monitoring software? At least you'll know how hot it's getting.

      Delete
  5. Yeah the fan was running full speed non stop, and then it would shut off.

    I ended up removing the thermal pads, cleaning everything again and replacing everything with AS5 and shims. Obviously not on the cpu, but everywhere else, yes. It seems to be running fine now.

    The 1.5mm thermal pads are way too thick. I did notice they made it impossible for the heatsink to completely contact with the processor.

    Made pretty good time too, since I just finished disassembling, cleaning and re-assembling + testing :)

    Thanks for the awesome article and the great bit of advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the issue! I've been dying to upgrade this laptop's cpu with a quad core to see if it works :)

      Delete
  6. I was thinking about that too! I think the tdp is a bit too much though. This thing runs pretty hot even with a p8700.

    So far I'm planning to upgrade the ram to 8gb. I'm just torn on the processor. I was thinking at most I might go with a T9900 or a P9700, due to tdp. I just drool over the Q9100 though.I can't even imagine how hot it would get with 45w.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did any of you guys actually upgrade that processor yet? I'm wanting to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Hello there, sorry, I haven't upgraded the processor yet. I think I'll just do it. It's around $12 on ebay.com.

      Delete
    2. Just bought the processor! Woohoo!

      Delete
    3. Hello there! Glad I found this thread! What processor did you buy and have you gone through with the upgrade yet

      Delete
    4. Hello there! Glad I found this thread! What processor did you buy and have you gone through with the upgrade yet

      Delete
    5. @EnigmaFilm I purchased the Intel Core2 Quad Q9100 SLB5G 2.26GHz 12MB 1066MHz Quad-Core PGA478 CPU Processor
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9100-SLB5G-2-26GHz-12MB-1066MHz-Quad-Core-PGA478-CPU-Processor/272941473947?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
      However, I haven't installed it yet. I think I'll get around to in the next month or two. Will keep you updated.

      Delete
  9. My P8700 is still running strong. I might jump up to the P9700 if the price is right. I'm very curious to see if the quad core processor works, because I was told by several employees and multiple people that the board itself doesn't support the quad core cpu.

    If the Q9100 does work I'd be worried about finding a suitable cooling solution. The TDP on the P8700 is only 25W and it gets really hot after shims and thermal pads, but the Q9100 is 45W. The P9700 is only 28W, which is manageable.

    I'll check back again to see if the Quad core upgrade is successful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any news on upgrade i haven't had any issues mine is its still stock.

      Delete
    2. Sorry no update on an upgrade yet. Although the HP Pavilion dv7-1020us is cranking away.

      Delete