Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sony VAIO Tap 11 SVT11213CXB Upgrade

When Sony sold off its VAIO computer division, I picked up a Sony VAIO Tap 11 SVT11213CXB on the cheap from Best Buy. The default configuration of the SVT11213CXB is a Pentium 3560Y, 4GB memory, and 128GB SSD. While the 128GB SSD is just enough to get by, it really is too small. I personally recommend at least a 240-256GB SSD. It's the bare minimum so that you can install software and have space for personal files. A 128GB disk is only enough for software and requires constant management to make sure you're not filling up the disk.

That said, I decided to go BIG and put in a Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD into the Sony VAIO Tap 11. I followed the Sony published teardown video of the Sony VAIO Tap 11 and it's definitely more precarious than the video makes it out to be.

See the Sony VAIO Tap 11 teardown here on blog.sony.com.



Firstly, I used Acronis True Image to copy and image the replacement Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD. Acronis copies the hidden Sony restore partitions and resized the data partition to fill up the new SSD.

To take the Sony Tap 11 apart, remove the 5 screws from the covered bays.



Now, flip the tablet over where the tablet is glass up. Along the top right edge, using a nylon or plastic pry tool (I used a spudger, see here), pry the glass up from the casing. DO NOT pull the screen away from the casing aggressively. It is connected to the motherboard by 2 connectors and must be first disconnected.




The original 128GB SSD is held in place with single-sided black foam tape. I didn't bother taking it off the original SSD because it was going to take the label off with it. It's not really needed, in my opinion. Once in place, I put the system back together and viola! It booted up.





10 comments:

  1. Many thanks for detailed instructions - I've just replaced my 120GB SSD with 500GB one and am very pleased with the result.

    Regards,

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the RAM is fixed on the motherboard (non-upgradeable). You have to replace your motherboard to upgrade the RAM and/or your processor.

      I had upgraded my motherboard to the i7 processor and got an 8GB RAM upgrade along with it.
      https://toomanycomputers.blogspot.com/2015/12/sony-vaio-tap-11-svt11213cxb.html

      Delete
  3. Is there a difference between the Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD and the 850 version? Will the 850 fit in the Tap 11?

    Also I am assuming you removed the SSD from the casing. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a difference between the Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD and the 850 version? Will the 850 fit in the Tap 11?
    I find them both with what looks like a casing. Does this need to be removed in order to install the SSD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you want an mSATA SSD. I got the Samsung 840 mSATA SSD. Here are the Samsung mSATA SSDs on amazon.com:
      https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+msata&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asamsung+msata

      Delete
  5. after taking mine apart to replace the fan and power socket it will nolonger power up! any ideas what the problem could be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, did you reset it? There's a reset button in the microSD panel. https://toomanycomputers.blogspot.com/2015/12/sony-vaio-tap-11-svt11213cxb.html

      Delete
    2. Yes I found that page after I posted, wasn't that easy though my power cable plug is faulty so getting power is difficult, and only got it working after plugging the battery in last, after the screen and camera

      Delete
    3. Nice! Glad you got it working.

      Delete