Saturday, February 4, 2017

Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill Mod

Ok, so obviously this post isn't a computer repair or an upgrade or a mod. Nope, it's a coffee mill mod. Like any good computer geek, I need me some caffeine, so this mod is related and it's IMPORTANT! I got the Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill from amazon.com. I like coffee mill just fine, but there are days where I just want my coffee and I don't want to spend the extra 5-10 minutes grinding coffee beans. I'm not saying I don't like the calming effect of manually grinding coffee beans, but you get it right, sometimes you just need coffee as soon as possible.

So how exactly do you mechanize a manual coffee mill?
  • M6 coupling nut
  • M7 1/8" thick flat washer
  • Power Drill (oh YEAH)
  • 10mm Hex Shank Nut Setter

The Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill already has a detachable hand crank.The key here is that the thread on the post of the hand crank doesn't go all the way down the shaft. It stops 2.5mm (the thickness of the hand crank arm) from the base. The reason being that the base of the shaft where the hand crank attaches is squared off so that the hand crank arm stays in place.



First things first, get the RIGHT parts. I bought my parts from fixtureworks.net. If you know a better place to buy nuts and bolts, go for it!

The first part is a coupling nut. It's long and gives you enough space for the nut setter. I purchased an M6 coupling nut. Next the washer in place of the hand crank. I purchased an M7 flat washer.

I got a set of hex shank nut setters here from amazon.com. You'll need a 10mm nut setter for the M6 coupling nut.

Lastly you'll need a POWER DRILL. Use a drill/driver of your choice. I have a Ryobi ONE drill/driver.



Once you have all your parts, disassemble the hand crank from the Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill.




Place the M7 flat washer on the shaft and then screw the M6 coupling nut on top. You don't have to worry about tightening the M6 coupling nut because the direction of rotation of the drill/driver will tighten the M6 coupling nut automatically.







Now if you want to REMOVE the coupling nut so that you can use the hand crank, you won't be able to remove the M6 coupling nut manually because it's too tight. You'll have to place a rod in the space below the washer to hold the assembly in place and use the drill/driver in reverse. I used a disposable wooden chopstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment