Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX Repair

My Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX started to automatically double click things one day. In the DIY spirit, I tried to fix it myself! Good thing that someone figured out what parts I needed to buy first. See ifixit.com post here.

The hardest part really is desoldering the original switch because it's really in there tight with other plastic components and I didn't want to melt anything. Luckily, I managed to get the switch off and while I was in there, I decided to switch both of them out. I used a copper braid wick to get the solder off the joints first. While this gets off most of the solder, the joint still sticks to the trace on the board. Oh and don't forget the flux. Then I heated up one side and picked it up enough to get it off the trace and then heated up the other side to pop off the microswitch. Not sure if this is the certified way of doing it but please be careful because you can pull the trace off the board.

Replace the solder on the trace, place the microswitch back on the circuit board, heat the anchors to draw the solder on the anchors, and viola the microswitches are back on.









2 comments:

  1. Wasn't sure what you were talking about but realized what you did in the last picture. That piece you switched out looks fried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's just the glistening of the flux paste. I used a No Clean flux paste. Previously I used a Rosin based flux and it's a pain to scrub off after soldering and desoldering, but you can definitely tell the size of the button (switch) of the new microswitch. I makes a satisfying *click* now :)

      Delete